Rupp Arena, Lexington, Ky., January 25, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 79, Georgia 54
Team Records, Notes
· Kentucky is 15-4, 5-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Georgia is 10-8, 4-2 in league play.
· Kentucky leads the series 116-26. The Wildcats lead 57-5 in Lexington, including 32-4 in Rupp Arena.
· This is the only time the teams will meet during the regular season.
· The coaching staff of both teams wore sneakers in honor of “Coaches vs. Cancer” weekend to promote awareness of cancer prevention and treatment.
· Kentucky begins a two-game road swing Tuesday at Louisiana State. Game time is 9 p.m. EST (8 p.m. CST in Baton Rouge) and it will be televised by ESPN.
· Kentucky started Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein for the 12th-consecutive game.
· Ahead 12-10, UK went on a 13-0 run for a 25-10 lead. The Wildcats held Georgia scoreless for five and one-half minutes during that stretch.
· The Bulldogs narrowed the lead to 10 before the Wildcats took a 34-22 advantage into halftime. The Cats had good scoring balance with eight different players tallying in the first half.
· After Kentucky got the first basket of the second half, Georgia went on a 9-2 run to cut the lead to 37-31.
· The Bulldogs got no closer as the Wildcats had runs of 7-0, 5-0, and 12-0 to put the game away.
· Kentucky has won 21 consecutive home games, including 12 straight SEC home contests.
o UK is 80-2 in Rupp Arena under Coach Calipari.
· Defense was the big key for Kentucky today:
o UK held Georgia to 32.7 percent from the field
o UK tied a season high with 11 blocked shots
o UK forced 20 Bulldog turnovers, leading to a 19-6 advantage in second-chance points
· UK is now 34-0 in the Calipari era when holding the opponent to 55 or fewer points.
· On the offensive end there was balanced scoring as 11 Cats entered the scoring column and six players scored at least seven points.
· UK shot 50 percent from the field, the sixth time this season and first against an SEC opponent that the Wildcats have made at least half their shots.
· UK made 5 of 12 3-pointers today, 41.7 percent.
o This was the fifth consecutive game that the Wildcats made at least five triples.
· UK hit 16 of 20 fouls shots today, 80 percent.
o Over the last three games, the Wildcats have made 80.3 percent at the charity stripe (57 of 71).